- What’s New in Patch 7.3?
- What Talents Should I Choose?
- What is Retribution’s DPS Rotation?
- What Order Should I Buy Artifact Traits In?
- What Are the Best Stats for Retribution in Patch 7.3?
- What Are the Best Legendary Items for Retribution Paladins?
- What Are the Best Trinkets for Retribution Paladins in Tomb of Sargeras?
- What Are the Best Artifact Relics for Retribution Paladins?
- What Enchants and Gems Should I Choose?
- What Consumables Should I Use?
- I’m Making a New Paladin. What Race Should I Choose?
- Update Info
Welcome to our quick start guide for your Retribution Paladin in Patch 7.3. Here we’re going to be covering the basic, need-to-know information for how to play your Paladin effectively. This guide covers just the facts. While extensive testing and simulation time backs our data up, it’s all been omitted to keep this guide as simple as possible. If you’re new to Retribution, if you’re coming back from a break, or you just want to get up to speed for Patch 7.3, this is the guide for you.
If you’d like to dig into the nuts and bolts of Retribution in Patch 7.3, you may want to check out our advanced guides (coming as they are written!).
What’s New in Patch 7.3?
- Crusade nerfs. Wrath of the Ashbringer‘s trait bonus has been reduced down to 2s per point (was 2.5s), and Chain of Thrayn now additively stacks with Crusade rather than multiplicatively (was 59.5% max damage, now 55%).
- Righteous Blade nerf. Righteous Blade‘s trait bonus has been reduced down to 4% per point (was 5%).
- Mastery buff. Mastery’s effect on Judgment‘s damage increased by 46%, and Mastery’s effect on Judgment‘s debuff strength increased by 17%.
- Execution Sentence buff. Execution Sentence now does 2160% of attack power as Holy damage (was 1700%).
- Everything else buffs. All other abilities now do 6% more damage.
The high level summary is that we do slightly more DPS than before, with less of it packed into Crusade, and Wrath of the Ashbringer relics are still one of our best choices (but not the only good choice). Mastery is also no longer a tragically bad stat choice!
What Talents Should I Choose?
These talent choices will produce the best DPS in the Tomb of Sargeras, with the Tier 20 set bonuses. Talents not listed here are not worth considering in Patch 7.3.
Level 15: Final Verdict
Level 30: Zeal (single target) or The Fires of Justice (multi-target)
Level 60: Blade of Wrath (single target) or Divine Hammer (multi-target)
Level 90: Divine Intervention (survivability) or Cavalier (mobility)
Level 100: Crusade
Your Level 45 and Level 75 talent choices don’t affect your raid performance.
What is Retribution’s DPS Rotation?
Retribution’s basic rotation is very simple: build Holy Power, cast Judgment, spend Holy Power while the Judgment debuff is up. If you want to maximize your DPS, you need to keep in mind these simple rules:
- Build Holy Power using Blade of Justice and Crusader Strike (or their talent replacements).
- Never use a Holy Power generator if you are at 5 Holy Power. It’s better to spend it immediately.
- Use Judgment if the following are true:
- You have at least 3 Holy Power.
- At least one charge of Crusader Strike is on cooldown.
- Use Templar’s Verdict (1 target) or Divine Storm (2 or more targets) to spend Holy Power.
- Continue building and spending Holy Power until the Judgment debuff falls off.
You should use Crusade as often as possible, with 5 Holy Power in reserve, right after casting Judgment. You should try to use Crusade at the same time that your raid uses Heroism or Bloodlust, but don’t delay using it so long that you lose out on a cooldown throughout the fight.
You should use Wake of Ashes on cooldown, when you have less than 2 Holy Power in reserve. You should never need to delay Wake of Ashes by more than a second or two.
What Order Should I Buy Artifact Traits In?
If you’re leveling up a new Paladin, start off by buying Deliver the Justice, Sharpened Edge, and Wrath of the Ashbringer—you’ll hit level 110 before you get this far. Everybody is granted a massive boost to Artifact Knowledge at 110, and a single AP quest will give enough artifact points for your next 30 or more traits.
(For reference, this was the original artifact progression path we used back at the start of Legion, when artifact points were scarce.)
Once you’ve purchased Ashbringer’s Light, your Ashbringer gains a new set of empowered artifact traits to invest in. This is the best order to buy them in:
- Ferocity of the Silver Hand, Righteous Verdict,
Blessing of the Ashbringer, and Judge Unworthy
- Wrath of the Ashbringer
- Deliver the Justice
- Might of the Templar and Righteous Blade (in any order)
- Sharpened Edge and Highlord’s Judgment (in any order)
- Protector of the Ashen Blade and Embrace the Light (in any order)
- Concordance of the Legionfall
For a more detailed breakdown of artifact traits and progression paths, check out our Artifact and Relic Guide for Patch 7.3.
What Are the Best Stats for Retribution in Patch 7.3?
All else being equal, this is how Ret Paladins value secondary stats:
Haste ≥ Critical Strike ≥ Versatility > Mastery
Keep in mind that all of Retribution’s secondary stats are extremely close in value. Increasing your item level in a slot is almost always an upgrade regardless of the item’s stats.
For a more detailed stats breakdown, including a Tomb of Sargeras “Best in Slot” list, check out the Equipment Guide for Patch 7.3.
What Are the Best Legendary Items for Retribution Paladins?
Whisper of the Nathrezim is our best legendary item. If you have one, you should always wear it. Otherwise, these legendaries are all great choices:
Insignia of the Grand Army can also be a high performer if you lucked into three high damage Tier 2 traits at the Netherlight Crucible.
Scarlet Inquisitor’s Expurgation is very strong on heavy cleave and AoE fights, but otherwise it is a mediocre legendary. Having a second legendary in a tier slot (in addition to the cloak) may complicate your gearing strategy, too.
Other legendary items don’t provide as significant of a DPS increase, but are still always better than any regular armor piece in the same slot.
What Are the Best Trinkets for Retribution Paladins in Tomb of Sargeras?
You should use Infernal Cinders as your first trinket. Its effect is passive, and it’s strong on every boss in Tomb of Sargeras. And if multiple melee in your raid have one, it becomes the strongest trinket this tier by a very wide margin.
On multi-target fights, your second trinket should be Umbral Moonglaives. Use it every time Crusade reaches 15 stacks and there are multiple targets in range, even if you have to delay its use to line both cooldowns up. Multi-target fights in Tomb of Sargeras have frequent enough adds that you should rarely have trouble lining the two up.
For an overview of all trinkets at the item levels they drop at, check out our Retribution Trinket Guide for Patch 7.3.
For a more detailed analysis of trinkets, including Titanforged versions, and detailed usage instructions, you will want to check out our Retribution Trinket Advanced Guide for Patch 7.3.
What Are the Best Artifact Relics for Retribution Paladins?
For a more detailed breakdown of artifact relics, including DPS deltas and relative item level values, check out our Artifact and Relic Guide for Patch 7.3.
What Enchants and Gems Should I Choose?
All sockets should be filled with Quick Lightsphene.
What Consumables Should I Use?
Flask: Flask of the Countless Armies (or a Spirit Flask, if your raid provides them).
Food: Lavish Suramar Feast (or Azshari Salad, if your raid is too disorganized to make feasts).
Rune: Defiled Augment Rune (or a Lightforged Augment Rune if you’re Exalted with Army of the Light).
Potion: Potion of the Old War*
* On fights where you delay using Crusade at the start of the encounter, Potion of Prolonged Power is a better pre-pot choice.
I’m Making a New Paladin. What Race Should I Choose?
Choose the race that you think looks the best. Human and Blood Elf are the highest DPS choices for the Alliance and Horde, but it’s a very tiny difference. About this tiny:
Guide Last Updated: September 14, 2017
Simulationcraft Version: SimulationCraft 730-02 (git build f74055e)